Silicone injections have been used in the past and they are extremely unpredictable. Today I almost exclusively use either Restylane or Juvaderm to enhance the lips and peri oral areas of the face. Typically it takes two sessions to complete a lip enhancement. Subtle changes are much better than dramatic changes. You will be asked to participate in your enhancement. I will make a suggestion, but you are ultimately responsible for what you want. Also, you must remember that I can only enhance what you already have.
Cosmetic surgeons have been searching for the perfect lip implant. As of today, i have tried many different types and have not been satisfied. However, recently a company out of Texas designed a new implant that i am very pleased with the results. The procedure takes about an hour, and can be done in the office under local anesthesia and intravenous sedation.
1. Is Perma Facial Implant an injectable product?
2. Why is Perma Facial Implant™ different from other techniques used to augment facial tissue?
3. How do I know the implant is the right size for me?
4. How is Perma Facial Implant™ different from other lip implants I have read about?
5. What if I want to have the implant(s) removed?
6. What should I expect post-operatively?
7. Is it quite painful?
8. Is there much bruising?
9. When will I be able to see the results?
10. How are facial implants comparable to injectables?
11. Can the Perma Facial Implant leak or rupture?
1. Is Perma Facial Implant an injectable product? (back to top)
No. Perma Facial Implant is made of soft, solid silicone and can be removed at any time.
2. Why is Perma Facial Implant™ different from other techniques used to augment facial tissue? (back to top)
Perma Facial Implant™ offers a permanent alternative to repetitive, costly, and painful filler injections, and strives to overcome the potential complications of permanent injectable and solid implants. Perma Facial Implant is contoured, has a smooth surface to minimize tissue ingrowth, and is reversible.
3. How do I know the implant is the right size for me? (back to top)
Perma Facial Implant™ is available in a variety of diameters and lengths to accommodate the uniqueness of each person’s tissue characteristics. During the course of a consultation with your surgeon, it will be determined what Perma Facial Implant™ size is best suited for you.
4. How is Perma Facial Implant™ different from other facial implants I have read about? (back to top)
Perma Facial Implant™ is composed of a material ideally suited for use in the facial tissues. Other implants that have been used utilize substances that can potentially cause “tissue in-growth” into the surrounding tissue—in a sense, scarring to the implant itself. This process increases the likelihood of restricted, or unnatural movement. This potential problem has been minimized due to the surface characteristics and the type of material used to manufacture the Perma Facial Implant™.
5. What if I want to have the implant(s) removed? (back to top)
Although Perma Facial Implant™ is permanent, it is also designed to be easily reversible should a person wish to return to their original appearance.
6. What should I expect post-operatively? (back to top)
You should expect to be swollen and slightly tender post-operatively. Depending on the individual, there may be some bruising as well. The majority of bruising and swelling usually subsides after the first week. Discomfort is usually present for a few days, which will be alleviated by pain medication prescribed by your physician.
7. Is it quite painful? (back to top)
Most discomfort, if present, usually resolves after 24-48 hours, although you will be sensitive to light or medium pressure for about 2 weeks.
8. Is there much bruising? (back to top)
There is really not very much bruising with typical cases, although this may vary from person to person. Some patients are more prone to bruising than others.
Some doctors suggest that you take Arnica montana or Bromelain orally to decrease bruising. You may be instructed to use a topical arnica ointment as well. These three products are thought to decrease both bruising and swelling for many surgical procedures.
9. When will I be able to see the results? (back to top)
The operative site will be swollen the first few days following the procedure. As the swelling subsides you will begin to see your final result.
10. How are facial implants comparable to injectables? (back to top)
Implants do not wear off like temporary injectables. Temporary injectables are associated with repeat treatments every few months as the body breaks down the filler. Therefore, repetitive, painful, and costly injection procedures are required indefinitely to be maintained. Permanent, or long-term fillers, also exist. While this type of filler does not need to be repeated regularly, they can be very difficult to remove. If an undesirable appearance results, or if a patient wishes to revert to their original appearance, this may be difficult to accomplish. Perma Facial Implant™ has the advantage of being both permanent, yet easily reversible, giving it the best of both worlds.
11. Can the Perma Facial implant leak or rupture? (back to top)
No. Perma Facial Implant™ is unique in that it is manufactured from a very soft, but solid, silicone.